Wednesday, March 27, 2013

To Macron or NOT To Macron...is it really a question?



I don’t use macrons.  This bothers some Latin teachers.  It bothers some of my students' parents as I tutor classes sans macrons.  Is it a big deal?  My opinion: no.  Just like pronunciation is not a big deal [control yourself...it really isn't].

 Many moons ago, I learned very quickly as a Latin newbie in college that macrons are not present in “real” Latin literature and publishings, and even had professors that mildly ridiculed the students who had spent years memorizing what macrons go where and when.  “Crutches that aren’t present in real research! Forget them ALL!” 

So…this is just something I continue in my own home.  As a part of our Latin studies at home, I have explained to my own kiddos the purpose and place for macrons and have the resources to pull off of my shelf [both ecclesiastical and classical] where they can see NO MACRONS!  AGH!  How so we tell the cases, etc, apart?!  A little thing called context and practice.  It takes a while, but it comes with time.

It’s up to you: memorize a set of rules your students may have an easier time working through Latin with or just say no to macrons they may come to use as a crutch.  No pressure!  It’s kind of by definition a First World Problem.

For elementary Latin, I tend to favor the programs published by Classical Academic Press.  I'm very excited about the gap between Song School Latin and Latin for Children being filled with this week's publishing of Song School Latin Level 2!  

Homeschool moms find happiness in the little things, I know.  

These programs are full of meat and potatoes, my kids love all aspects of them, and I don't get tired of the CD's.  What more can you say?  

Docendo, discimus.

No comments:

Post a Comment